Duration of Membership
Section 1 – Period.
Membership shall continue during the existence of this club unless terminated as hereinafter provided.
Section 2 – Automatic Termination.
(1) Membership Qualifications. Membership shall automatically terminate when a member no longer meets the membership qualifications, except that:
(b) The board may grant a member moving from the locality of this club or the surrounding area a special leave of absence not to exceed one (1) year to enable the member to visit and become known to a Rotary club in the new community if the member is still active in the same classification and continues to meet all other conditions of club membership.
(c) The board may allow a member moving from the locality of this club or he surrounding area to retain membership if the member remains active in the same classification and continues to meet all other conditions of club membership; and
(d) A member whose classification is lost without default of the member may retain such classification and be granted a special leave of absence not to exceed one (1) year to enable the member to obtain new employment in the current or a new classification. Such member must continue to meet all other conditions of club membership. Termination of membership would take effect only at the end of the period of leave granted to the member.
(e) How to Rejoin. When the membership of a member has terminated as provided in subsection (a) of this section, such person may make new application for membership, under the same or another classification. A second admission fee shall not be required.
(f) Termination of Honorary Membership. Honorary membership shall automatically terminate at the end of the term for such membership as determined by the board. However, the board may extend an honorary membership for an additional period. The board may revoke an honorary membership at any time.
Section 3 – Termination – Non-payment of Dues.
(1) Process. Any member failing to pay dues within thirty (30 ) days after the prescribed
time shall be notified in writing by the secretary at the member’s last known address. If the dues are not paid on or before ten (1) days of the date of notification, membership may terminate, subject to the discretion of the board.
(2) Reinstatement. The board may reinstate the former member to membership upon the former member’s petition and payment of all indebtedness to this club. However, no former member may be reinstated to active membership if the former member’s classification has been filled.
Section 4 -Termination – Non-attendances.
(1) Attendance Percentages. A member must:
(a) Attend of make up at least 60 percent of club regular meetings in each half of the year.
(b) Attend at least 30 percent of this club’s regular meetings in each half of the year.
If a member fails to attend as required, the member’s membership shall be subject to termination unless the board consents to such non-attendance for good cause.
(2) Consecutive Absences. Unless otherwise excused by the board for good and sufficient reason or pursuant to article VIII, sections 2 or 4, each member who fails to attend or make up four consecutive regular meetings shall be informed by the board that the member’s non-attendance may be considered a request to terminate membership in this club. Thereafter, the board, by a majority vote, may terminate the member’s membership.
Section 5 – Termination- Other Causes.
(1) Good cause. The board may terminate the membership of any member who ceases to have the qualifications for membership in this club or for any good cause by a vote of not less than two-thirds of the board members, at a meeting called for that purpose.
(2) Notice. Prior to taking any action under subsection (a) of this section, the member shall be given at least ten (10) days’ written notice of such pending action and an opportunity to submit a written answer to the board. The member shall have an opportunity to submit a written answer to the board. The members shall have the right to appear before the board to state the member’s case. Notice shall be by personal delivery or by registered letter to the member’s last known address.
(3) Filling Classification. When the board has terminated the membership of a member as provided for in this section, this club shall not elect a new member under the former member’s classification until the time for hearing any appeal has expired and the decision of this club or of the arbitrators has been announced.
Section 6 – Right to appeal or Arbitrate Termination.
(1) Notice. Within seven (7) days after the date of the board’s decision to terminate membership, the secretary shall give written notice of the decision to the member. Within fourteen (14) days after the date of notice, the member may give written notice to the secretary of the intention either to appeal to the club or to arbitrate as provided in Article XV.
(2) Date for hearing of Appeal. In the event of an appeal, the board shall set a date for the hearing of the appeal at a regular club meeting to be held within twenty-one (21) days after receipt of the notice of appeal. At least five (5) days’ written notice of he meeting, and its special business shall be given to every member. Only members shall be present when the appeal is heard.
(3) Arbitration. In the event of a request for arbitration, each party shall appoint an arbitrator and the arbitrators shall appoint an umpire. Only members of a Rotary club may be appointed as umpire or as arbitrator.
(4) Appeal. If an appeal is taken, the action of the club shall be final and binding on all parties and shall not be subject to arbitration.
(5) Decision of Arbitrators or Umpire. If arbitration is requested, the decision reached by the arbitrators, or, if they disagree, by the umpire shall be final and binding on all parties and shall not be subject to appeal.
Section 7 – Board Action Final.
Board action shall be final if no appeal to this club is taken and no arbitration is requested.
Section 8 – Resignation.
The resignation of any member from this club shall be in writing, addressed to the president or secretary. The board shall accept the resignation if the member has no indebtedness to this club.
Section 9 – Forfeiture of Property Interest.
Any person whose club membership has been terminated in any manner shall forfeit all interest in any funds or other property belonging to this club.